December 27, 2017
You can't obsess your way out of a problem.
If we each do what we can, when we can, honestly and wholeheartedly, we are collectively always doing something.
There is no guilt in pleasure. Joy is necessary, always. Joy is worth fighting for.
How to da...
December 13, 2016
Some years teach, some years leave you with more questions than answers. (Zora Neale Hurston said this much better: “There are years that ask questions and years that answer.”)
How to surf (or at least, how to begin to surf…I stood up, which is what counts).
December 15, 2015
How to throw a punch.
That I’m stronger than I think.
Compassion for only those just like us is not compassion; it’s self-interest.
To teach is to learn without keeping all the good stuff to yourself.
The joy of hiking.
As a matter of fact,...
December 8, 2014
In no particular order…
How to use a table saw and miter saw.
That I’m allergic to saw dust.
Numbers can be manipulated; story wins every time.
Sometimes, the people you least expect are paying attention do.
On perception in social media: those o...
December 14, 2013
1. The moments you’ve always waited for will come. When they do, the ones spent waiting for them will feel like time wasted. Look forward but be here now.
2. The exact time I like to steep my tea, depending on whether it’s green tea or dark.
3. The antidote to a bad day...
December 21, 2012
1. There’s a very big difference between being patient and waiting for something to happen.
2. From a man holding a sign along the highway: “All I need is food, thank you.”
3. Where you search for meaning is not always the same place you find it.
Mourning My Birthplace: On Immigration, Family, and the Distance in Between
May 7, 2018
18 Things I Learned in 2018
December 20, 2018
Choices and Decisions - McSweeney's Publishing
October 30, 2018
When the Supernatural is a Natural Part of Your Culture
June 4, 2018
Why Saying My Book About Immigration Is So "Timely" Right Now Erases The Experience Of Millions Of People
May 9, 2018
17 Things I Learned in 2017
16 Things I Learned in 2016
That Time I Found a Boy in My Room Reading My Journal
April 8, 2016
15 Things I Learned in 2015